Early morning runs have always been a challenge. I need some fuel to get going but don't want to eat much before hitting the trails at 6am. These little energy bites are delicious, super quick to put together and will give you the boost you need when you don't have the time. Check out the notes below for the substitutions we often make. Don't be afraid to experiment yourself. You could easily substitute raisins, remove the chocolate chips, add in some dates, you name it!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips mini if you have them
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup almond flour meal or ground almonds works fine
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup peanut butter crunchy works best
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together the oats, chocolate chips, cranberries, almond flour and chia seeds in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine peanut butter and honey in a microwavable safe dish. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring after each. Microwave until just melted and smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to oatmeal mixture and stir to combine. You might have to get your hands in there!
- Using a small scoop or a tablespoon, form into balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for 1 hour and they are ready to be enjoyed.
- Try substituting 1 cup of the rolled oats for a cup of steel cut oats.
- These keep well in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Keep half in the fridge and move half to the freezer for next week.
- invest in a cookie scoop, like this one to make nicely formed uniform size energy balls. Save yourself loads of time as well.
Share this Recipe